Archive | July 2015

New Kent County Courthouse, New Kent, VA

The village of New Kent appears to have been the County seat since 1691 from land given to county by William Basset of Eltham Plantation.  Prior to this location, the courthouse was located at Brickhouse on the York River.  Most of the County’s colonial records were destroyed in the burning of the clerk’s office in 1787, and later records were destroyed in the burning of Richmond during the Civil War.

Advertisements